Monday, August 25, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away...

Monsoons...
Rains...
Ah! The things we do on rainy days...
Smell the earth’s fragrance;
Marvel (through glass panes) at the puddles of water fast filling up the roads outside;
Laugh (while happily sipping hot tea) at the plight of the guy whose umbrella’s upended;
Dive into the warm blankets when it thunders;
Make small paper boats to go out and make float in those puddles...
...
...
...
...and the list can go on and on...
All the to-do items are actually done only when we are safe, dry and cozy...with a roof over our heads...yes, its great fun!

The rains in Karnataka have a specialty – their perfect timing...heavy showers during the office-going /office-leaving hours...and a pleasant drizzle the rest of the day. Just as my luck would have it, the intensity is at its PEAK only when I decide to go out someplace.
I go shopping - it pours;  I enter the shop – it stops; I get out again – yes! It starts!!
I leave for the office – it pours; I leave early the next day – it pours early; I leave deliberately one hour late the following day – there it is...
No matter where I go, when I leave, it just seems to reschedule itself to match my timings...

Take this evening, for instance –
Just as I finish work early and decide to leave it starts drizzling; I think I can manage it and by the time take my vehicle out, it pours with all its energy (with orchestra); I park the bike and get back to my cube – its been raining for nearly 2 hours, when there’s the first sign of subsidence... Happily I leave, only to get caught in the middle... On the slippery roads, riding a two-wheeler(cars are still better off, remember the roof?), rain beating down on my face(cant see with visor on), spectacle’s all wet and hazy, chilly winds...
Rain definitely not so cute anymore :-(

Sigh! :-

I feel that I am the chosen one!!! Well, now I can totally identify with Little Johnny’s feelings when his playtime is ruined and cries out...
Rain! Rain! Go Away!!!
Come back another day!




P.S. Having said all this, I still believe that the most soothing sound is the moosic of the rains, beating down hard...esp while trying to fall asleep...Nature singing a lullaby! Aaah! :-)

No comments: